Sunday 28 February 2016

investigating a treatment for cellulite

Paul, Let’s start out today’s interview with an explanation of what an anatomist is?

Sure. An anatomist studies the human body, which in recent years has included the study of the body on a cellular level. Most anatomists teach, research, or do both. Personally, I do teach, but I am more dedicated to research and the treatment of patients.

What inspired you to begin investigating a treatment for cellulite?

In 2007, a patient in her 30’s and of athletic build while in for an ACL repair questioned: “I work out, eat right, I’m not heavy, and I’ve had severe cellulite for 15 years. You have advanced degrees in anatomy, what can be done?”
Over my 38 years of practice, I’ve had many female patients ask about cellulite, and in conversing with colleagues from different areas of the medical community, I know they share similar stories.
I’m an avid researcher, (check out my profile on Research Gate) and I couldn’t shake this woman’s question. It was literally keeping me up at night. There had to be a way. I consulted with board-certified plastic surgeons that I know and respect, and according to them, there were no effective treatments available at the time. They also confirmed that this was a common question from female patients.
So, I set about to research and evaluate all of the literature for reasons why women get cellulite and then for ways to reduce cellulite

What was the goal of your research?

To help. I felt bad, and, to be frank, puzzled that there wasn’t a simple solution to this apparently common issue that really bothers some women.
Once I felt that I had studied all the credible research available and I understood what the scientific community currently knew about cellulite, it was time to find a solution.
My goal was to design a safe and effective way to help reduce the appearance of cellulite. An in-home process that women would find easy to use and was non-invasive.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment